Honorary Degrees Committee
About the Honorary Degrees Committee
Honorary Degrees Committee has delegated authority from Council and Senate to consider and approve nominations for the award of Honorary Degrees.
The Honorary Degrees Committee ensures that due consideration is given to ensure the following:
- that all honorary awards of the University are conferred upon individuals whose achievements and activities are resonant with the core values of the University.
- that in the process of consideration and evaluation of candidates (including the due diligence and scrutiny process) and recommendation for conferment of awards, the University’s good name and reputation are appropriately safeguarded
- that the style and level of the honour reflects appropriately the nature of the achievement and/or contribution.
- that the list of candidates nominated for honorary awards reflects the range of academic endeavour in which the University is engaged.
- that the recipient of an award is wholly suitable.
- that all reasonable steps have been taken to minimise the risk of:
(a) embarrassment to
(b) damage to the reputation of, or
(c) adverse political consequences
for either the candidate or the University as the result of the conferment of a particular award.
- Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Chair of Council
- Deputy Chair of Council
- Independent members of Council from Governance & Nominations Committee (3)
- One elected/appointed member of Senate
- One other Ex-officio member of Senate
- One Student member
- (University Secretary and Director of Advancement to be in attendance)
Meeting dates 2016/17
- Thursday 1 December 2016 at 12:00pm
- Thursday 25 May 2017 at 12:00pm