Council Functions and Membership
Functions of the Council [Statutes, Article 5]
The Council shall be responsible for the conduct and activities of the University and shall exercise the University's powers.
The functions and duties of the Council shall (without imposing any limitation on its general powers) include:
- overseeing the University’s activities, determining its mission and future direction;
- fostering an environment in which the University’s objects are achieved and providing strategic input on all material policy or other matters affecting the University (including the adoption and publication of a statement of the primary responsibilities of the Council);
- appointing and regulating committees of the Council;
- setting up within the University such departments, schools, faculties and other units of organisation and delegating to them such functions, duties and powers as it sees fit;
- employing staff and other contract-holders and regulating their employment;
- ensuring that there are in place policies and procedures dealing with staff performance, discipline, dismissal and grievances, and with student discipline, complaints and academic appeals;
- appointing a Chancellor;
- appointing a Vice-Chancellor as the chief executive officer of the University, and monitoring his or her performance;
- appointing such office holders to have such powers as the Council may see fit;
- making Ordinances and Regulations for the exercise of the functions and duties of the Council acting on behalf of the University;
- providing facilities to carry on any activities which are necessary or desirable to enable the University to fulfil its objects;
- establishing and monitoring systems of control and accountability including financial and operational controls and risk assessment; and
- reviewing and monitoring the management of the University and its performance.
The Council has agreed a Statement of Primary Responsibilities available here.
Membership [Statutes, Article 4]
The Council shall be comprised of a maximum of twenty four Council members. The ratio of Independent Members to Internal Members on the Council shall be no lower than five Independent Members to three Internal Members. The procedure for the appointment of Independent and Internal Members shall be prescribed in Ordinances
Internal Members shall include:
- the Vice-Chancellor;
- a minimum of three Staff Members:
- one appointed by the Senate;
- one nominated from among the Academic Staff; and
- one nominated from among all other Staff;
Two Student Members nominated by the Students’ Union.