The University's Charter establishes the role of Council:
There shall be a Council of the University which shall be the University's supreme governing body and shall have the custody and use of the Common Seal, be responsible for the management and administration of the revenue and property of the University and for the conduct of the affairs of the University, with power to delegate its powers as provided in the Statutes. [University Charter , Article 9]
The Council collectively has ultimate responsibility for directing the business of the University. Council sets the strategic direction, educational character, mission and values of the University, monitors its effectiveness and purpose and safeguards its reputation and good name.
Secretary to Council
The Director of Legal and Governance, Andrew Hartley, fulfils the role of University Secretary and serves as Secretary to Council.
Queries regarding Council should be directed in the first instance to Andrew Hartley, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates of Council meetings
Council dates are included in the University of Salford Almanac.
- Friday 25 September 2015 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 27 November 2015 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 18 December 2015 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 29 January 2016 (Strategic Conference)
- Friday 18 March 2016 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 6 May 2016 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 17 June 2016 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 14 October 2016 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 25 November 2016 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 13 January 2017 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 24 March 2017 (Council and Exec away day)
- Friday 12 May 2017 at 2:00pm*
- Friday 14 July 2017 at 2:00pm*
- * Meeting preceded by lunch at 12:30pm.
Papers for consideration by the Council must reach the Secretary at least two weeks in advance of the meeting at which they are to be considered.
Minutes of Meetings